Friday, June 3, 2011

STYLE TIP: Flat Collars

I might be a nitpick when it comes to certain things, but that's only because I care :) Better a nitpick than a slob, no? One thing that I have an issue with is a flat, loose collar - especially at the beginning of the work day. Nothing says tired and sloppy (and slightly retro), than this sad sight. To demonstrate, I took a picture of my collar this morning to show you exactly what I mean (pictured above). See? Not a fan...  (And yes, I really did wear a tuxedo shirt to work today. I love mixing formal pieces with casual wear, but that's for another discussion).

Now, there are a couple solutions available for a flat, dreary collar. If you have time, you can try ironing it the way you would wear it. You can also purchase inserts for the tips of your collars as well, but only certain shirts will have this feature. If you're in a hurry, what I do for a quick, temporary fix is roll up a piece of tape and stick it underneath the collar. Note that where you place it will make a difference. Place it closer to the front and it will actually look like you glued the two together. Tape it too far, in the direction of your back, and there will be no effect. Place the roll just about an inch to an inch and a half away from the front and smooth out the collar so that the tape is firmly adhered. It may sound a bit sketch, but it really does work wonders, transforming a flat, loose collar into a stiff, crisp one that will leave you looking sharp. And remember, it's only ghetto if you get caught doing it. That being said, let's keep this our little secret ;)

- Lance

1 comment:

  1. "and remember, it's only ghetto if you get caught doing it" lmao oh lance.. pretty sure I caught you doing it in the business lounge :) hehehe

    ReplyDelete