Wednesday, June 22, 2011

STYLE TIP: Details

Today, I woke up at 9am. Just so you know, my work also starts at 9am. Not having planned out my attire for the day the previous night either, my morning proved to be a true test of agility, willpower (otherwise known as not screaming like a mad woman upon seeing the time), and sanity. It's times like these that having a couple style rules in your back pocket come in *very* handy!

When in doubt, go for simplicity - there's less of a chance that you'll make an erroneous choice in the fleeting moments of the morning. To me, that translated into a crisp white button-up shirt (with the sleeves rolled up), a pair of camel-hue khakis, a chocolate-brown braided leather belt, mustard yellow socks, and a pair of two-tone black brogues. When you want to have a classic look with a bit of added zest, always showcase that aspect through small details. Normally, I'd be good to go with this look, but today I felt like a little bit of spice was needed. My outfit consisted of a neutral color palette, so I decided to add a pop of color by wearing a couple bracelets I found at some lovely street vendors I came across in the city (sidebar: please ignore my massively malnourished wrists. Apparently they prefer to resemble little children wrist-things, rather than adult ones). As you can see, I paired it with my very-scratched vintage watch on one side, which has a somewhat clean and simple aesthetic. The contrast between these two, as well as the small flash of color that these bracelets added to the overall look, is a styling "formula" that I find incorporates the best of both worlds. By adding a loud print or bright colors in small doses to a minimal outfit, you get a look that politely, but sternly, demands an audience and doesn't shout "try-hard" at the same time.

Remember, it's the DETAILS that take your look to the next level by adding a pinch of refinement and sophistication (which comes in many different forms).

2 comments:

  1. I love the bracelets and the watch! I hope you didn't get in trouble for being late ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boss fist-bumped me when I walked in. So, I assume...

    ReplyDelete