Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tribute

This past weekend was Thanksgiving, and now, more than ever, i've come to realize how much there is to be thankful for in life. It seems that with each passing year, there comes forth new challenges, moments of joy, wisdom, and appreciation. The last two years have not been easy for my family. Yet despite the hardships that we have endured, we have also been able to grow and learn more in these past few years than ever before. It is a bit funny (and ironic) how troubled times can bring individuals together, a collective gathering of support and love. Dare I say, blessings in disguise? Hmm, perhaps it's a bit early to make such bold statements. However, the lessons that we've learned from these experiences are ones that I am entirely grateful for, despite the fire that we had to walk through in order to attain them.

Three weeks ago to this day, I learned of my grandfather's sudden passing - literally the day after I showed at Western Canada Fashion Week. Needless to say, the day following the show was less than ideal on a variety of different levels. Fast-forward a week later, and we were holding his burial ceremony, saying goodbye to him for the last time. Death is an odd thing, it is, especially when it involves someone that you are close to. The very fact that I had spoken to my grandfather not long before, heard his warm voice and saw his comforting smile, made for a very surreal experience seeing him being put into the ground. I'm not even entirely sure that everything has sunk in yet. Fast-forward another week later, and our family was celebrating our first Thanksgiving without him with food, drink, and each other. Another week later, and here I am, writing this post. A month of intense family bonding has left much to be reflected. The outcome? The realization that life is much too short to waste on the things we waste it on, and not loving enough the ones we love.


My grandpa and grandma in Mexico after they renewed their vows, with all the family members present. 

The patriarch of my family, my grandfather was the only one I ever had. A man of humble warmth and vibrancy, he filled many different shoes throughout his lifetime - movie producer, author, entrepreneur, philanthropist, friend, husband, father, grandfather. Having moved to Canada from Korea in a time that was not so quick to embrace diversity, the achievements he made for his community and his family are definitely standards that I live by and aspire to. He was also a man always young at heart and full of surprises. On a family trip we took down to LA, he woke up before everyone else and snuck out on his own to the neighbouring Disneyland just so he could ride Space Mountain. More recently, he decided to tag along on a family quading trip we took through some back woods jungle in Mexico, riding on the backseat of my crazy cousin the entire time. Full of adventure, and always looking out for us, he was truly a great man passionate about life. I miss him.

Anyways, I realize that this is primarily a fashion and lifestyle blog, so these personal posts will be few and far between. But I think it's nice to be reminded that, despite all our struggles and hardships, we all have something to be thankful for. Whether it's the fact that you have your health and loved ones or simply that the sun is shining, there is always just reason to celebrate life's many blessings, disguised or not.


Miss you, love you grandpa. 

1 comment:

  1. Lance, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather's passing. Your post was beautifully written, a wonderful tribute to him. I loved the story of him getting up early just so he could ride Space Mountain at Disneyland : ). He sounds like he was an amazing person.

    xo Big hugs to you

    ReplyDelete