Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Versace x H&M

Am I the only one that's not chomping at the bit for a piece of H&M's collaboration with the house of Versace? Call me crazy, but this collection is pure comedy - a joke. I've seen gong shows with more dignity than this ridiculous circus of a product line. And the worst part? You just know that people everywhere will be salivating to get their hands on the newest haute commodity. Kids, designer labels do not always equate with taste and quality. Let this be a lesson.
Perhaps I am being too harsh. After all, Versace has earned much of it's reputation from the flashy collections of its past. So in one sense, none of this should come as much of a surprise. However, much has changed since those days - lifestyles and attitudes have shifted towards an aesthetic of subdued practicality over the colourful displays of self-proclamation, seen in the 80's when Gianni Versace rose to fame. Yes, fashion may be cyclical in nature, but what worked then may not necessarily apply today. As I was procrastinating casually browsing the twitterverse, I was made aware of the fact that the official launch of the collaboration was today. And a grand celebration it was! With industry heavy-hitters in attendance, and performances by Nicki Minaj and Prince, H&M went hard to ensure that the collection (and resulting publicity) would get off to a good start. Yet, to be frank, no amount of positive publicity could persuade me to wear some of the pieces here. It's almost as if Donatella, herself, decided to play a cruel joke on the rest of the world by creating such a ridiculous collection fully knowing that it would be successful, regardless of aesthetic. Take off the name, and these are the clothes that are banned in certain places of my city. Save for a few pieces, someone missed the mark on this one. I can't imagine wearing some of the pieces in here without looking like anything but a complete asshole. Even River (Viiperi) looks uncomfortable!

Check out the looks (and my candid thoughts) below!

WOMENSWEAR
Blasphemy.

Heinous.

 No.
No.
Heinous.

 Travesty.
 Heinous. 
 Chic.
 Cute
No.
 No.
 Dear God.
 Acceptable.
 No.
 Acceptable.
 Worst!


MENSWEAR
 Heinous. Heinous. Heinous.
 Heinous.
 I do quite like this hot pink blazer, looks very Jil Sander. 
 Clean and classy. Great blazer. 
 Heinous. 
 Heinous. 
 BLASPHEMY.
 No.
 Hell no.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is not having an orgasm over this collection! I am not a fan at ALL. Except for the black jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems to be the general consensus. I'm so happy i'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete