Saturday, August 6, 2011

Classy

My all-time favourite classical piece, to listen and play, would definitely have to be the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Growing up, my brother and I, like any good asian children, were enrolled in piano lessons. It's one of the cultural stereotypes that we adhered to (unlike my absolute inability to do math - ethnic fail). He would always play the bouncy and bright allegros, while I would have an affinity for the more moody and darker adagio pieces. Beethoven apparently dedicated this movement to his pupil, Countess Giuletta Guicciardi, with whom he was, or had been, in love with. I absolutely love the amount of depth and raw emotion that you can feel from this exquisite masterpiece of his. Absolutely beautiful.

We may not have appreciated it then, but I can say that I now have a deep and rooted respect for classical music, and quite enjoy listening to it. Kids, even if you hate it, keep playing. It's true when they say you'll thank them later.

Thanks Mama and Papa bear.
  

More beautiful pieces after the jump.


Nocturne 20 in C sharp minor by Chopin


La Campanella by Liszt


Clair de lune by Debussy

If you suddenly (or not so suddenly) feel compelled to go out and buy a CD full of classical music goodness, get "100 Best Piano Classics" (don't you love the super catchy title?)

2 comments:

  1. You can play the piano too?? I tried twice, with lessons but quit after a month each time. I really regret that now : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit rusty, but yeah! I have a piano at home that I like to tinker around on every once in a while :) And it's never too late to start!

    ReplyDelete