Monday, May 9, 2011

Genesis


So, i've managed to survive my first work week in the big TO, and am happy to report that all is going just swimmingly! Minus the fact that I apparently live in a bloody concrete rainforest. The humidity in this city is just astonishing. All you have to do is literally stand, and five minutes later you'll have lost a pound or two. Throughout the day, you just have to learn to accept the fact that you will end up sticky and gross. Had I known this nifty little fact, I would not have brought a good, ohhh, 80% of the stuff I packed. Coming from Alberta, perhaps I am biased. But when you wake up in the morning wondering why and how you fell asleep in a sauna, biased opinions do not matter.


Anyway, with all that being said, Toronto is pretty amazing. The amount of diversity (in all aspects) is a much welcomed and appreciated facet of the city. And the amount of things to do.... Like a kid in a candy store. My friend (who came from Edmonton with me for a sports marketing internship) and I have made a "SUMMER BUCKET LIST", including everything from attending the MuchMusic Video Music Awards (MMVAs) to taking a bike ride along the beach. So far we have just under 30 goals. Not enough for three and a half month's worth if you ask me. Here are a couple highlights from our first couple weeks that I quickly jotted down:

- Day 1: Less than 24 hours and my dad has already got the finger from a deceiving little granny on the road. What a charming city!

Ours is the dark and ominous one. Edgy. 

- Day 2: A lady has christened my father as an unfriendly man because he failed to give her money on the road. He is getting quite the attention in this city of hospitality! Went to visit the place that I'll be moving into w my friend, Viktoria. Let's just say, the pictures were slightly misleading. Whoever took those photos took them at especially clever angles. One of the first words I hear from Vik? "I almost cried when I walked in". She wasn't referring to tears of joy.

Chanel, and her friend, Louis. 

- Day 3: Mother's Day! 'Tis beautiful, full of sun and blue skies! Walked on Bloor St. West with the family, and subsequently fell in LOVE. Known as the "Mink Mile", that stretch is BALLIN'. Prada to the left, Chanel to the right. No big deal. We decided to break from the masses and take a stroll in some park, ending up on a set of benches by some sort of Korean pagoda. It was a serene and peaceful moment, complemented by a man who... came up to us and asked permission to pee in the bushes behind us.

Excuse me. 

For serious. (Did I actually just have a conversation with myself right there?) What were we supposed to say? My mom laughed, probably from utter shock, and suggested a pair of shrubs off yonder. I think he had to go really bad, and didn't want to offend. Though really, in what universe would asking someone that question not garner a little bit of a reaction? Needless to say, this city definitely has some character. In my haste to pack (because of course, last minute is always the way to go), I forgot to include a razor and now resemble an asian caveman. Yeah, not so attractive. They have been added to the list of things I need, along with bed sheets and my sanity.

- Day 4 - 7: In no particular order... Lion King on Broadway, Niagra Falls, Royal Ontario Museum, Korea Town. 

Fools


(Someone please explain the appeal to me. Why would anyone want to get themselves soaked and freeze off their hoo-ha's? Someone please tell me.)


 BAAAAZAWIMBWAAABABANEETZIOOO... however it goes. 
Mama and Papa Bear. 


Royal Ontario Museum



- First Work Week: Being the smart person that I am, I decided not to learn my transit route until my first day of work. So, naturally, when the day came, I woke up super early to give myself enough time to get to work. I pretty much left an hour and a half before work started. Turns out, it only takes half an hour to get there MAX. I was literally FORTY. MINUTES. EARLY to work. Of course, the office wasn't even open, so I perused the magazine aisles of the Shopper's nearby looking like a total idiot creeper crazy super cool person (because really, who doesn't read magazines at 8am in the morning?). The next day, I took my DAMN time and was still early. Regardless though, I have never written so much in such little a period of time. I can honestly say that I am using my brain more than I did during the school semester. Interpret that however you like. But it's a good thing! Have yet to fetch any coffee for anyone, and judging from the "corporate" culture here, I don't think I will have to (Yippee!) The people at the office are super laid back and hilarious. The office was a bit smaller than I had imagined, but all the better to get to know each other, no? Plus, I figure, that pretty much equates to more responsibility, which is always good.

Winning. 


Stay tuned!

- Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment